Open Show September 2016
BIS Jotunheim Limited Edition and RBIS Quensha Summer Nights at Lynwood JW
BB Quensha Summer Nights at Lynwood JW, RBB Radbrooks Kokomo and BPB Bushbane Celtic Heartbeat of Radbrooks
BD Jotunheim Limited Edition,
RBD Balvenie Clandestine JW,
BVD SH CH Beechanger Wagtail JW and
BPD Pewterspeare Pearl Dragon of Ridleywood
Critique and classes
English Setter Society Of Wales Open Show 25th September 2016
The English Setter Society of Wales held an Open Show where BIS was Jotunheim Limited Edition, RBIS was Quensha Summer Nights at Lynwood and BP Bushbane Celtic Heartbeat at Radbrooks.
I would like to thank the Officers and Committee for this opportunity to judge at this friendly and well run show. This was a reasonable entry but it was unfortunately marred by absentees, There were many good dogs present and I would like to thank the exhibitors for accepting my placings, which in some classes may have changed on another day, with good grace. All exhibits were well presented and temperaments were excellent displaying the required friendliness and good nature.
Minor Puppy Dog (1)
- Baker’s Pewterspeare Pearl Dragon of Ridleywood. 8 month old light blue belton and tan with dark eye and pleasing expression. Has good angulation and deep chest. Slightly erratic on the move but shows promise. Presents a lovely outline when stood.
Puppy Dog (2,2)
Veteran Dog (3,1)
- Fisher’s Sh Ch Beechanger Wagtail JW. A worthy Champion. An orange who is just showing his age at 9 ½ years. I judged him when he was much younger and there is still a lot to like about him. Has a lovely dark eye and good head. Neat feet. Still moves well. BV. 2. Booth’s Benrae the Entertainer at Whitcroft. Dark blue belton and tan who is 7 ½ years. Beautiful dark eye giving such a lovely expression. Carrying too much weight but very happy on the move. Preferred the overall balance of 1.
Junior Dog (2)
- Thompsett’s Radbrooks Sloop John B. 13 months old light blue belton and tan who was giving his handler a hard time. Well-proportioned head, straight front and has a good depth of chest. 2. McCabe’s Rachdale Gold Digger. An orange who has lots to like including his head which is of good proportions with a deep muzzle, well-placed shoulders, good depth of rib and moved very well. A very promising dog but would prefer a lower tail carriage.
Yearling Dog (6,1)
- Loynd’s Crimbledale Sea the Skies JW. Dark blue belton only 19 months but maturing nicely. Dark eye, well-proportioned head. Long neck leading to well placed shoulders and level top line. Good spring of rib. Rather unco-operative on the move which limited his chances in the challenge, but shows plenty of promise. 2. Thompsetts Radbrooks Sloop John B. 3. McCabe’s Rachdale Gold Digger.
Maiden Dog (2,2)
Novice Dog (2,1)
- Thompsett’s Radbrooks Sloop John B
- Thompsett’s Sloop John B. 2. Taylor and Atyoe’s Samelen Harris Tweed. Fourth in the yearling class. Light orange 22 months old. Long, lean head. Good length of neck and very good rear angulation with well let down hocks. 3. Colton’s Clovendale Blue Chip for Ennydloc.
Graduate Dog (3,2,1 w/d)
Post Graduate Dog (1)
- Taylor and Atyeo’s Hazeysunsett Vivaldi. Five year old dark blue who has a lovely dark eye, giving him that typical soft friendly expression. Lean head. Clean neck, level topline and good tail set. Moved quite well within the confines of the hall.
Limit Dog (2)
- McCabe’s Rachdale Sea Fever. Dark blue mature dog who has a long lean head of good proportions. Straight front, good shoulder placement. Level topline with good tail set Well-angulated quarters. Moved well. 2. Fisher’s Beechanger Dusty Miller. 4 year old orange. Smaller build than 1. Liked his head and friendly expression. Straight front and good spring of rib. Preferred the overall balance of 1.
Open Dog (6,2)
- Watts’ Jotunheim Limited Edition. Dark blue who is now 5 years old. Dark eye giving a soft friendly expression. Masculine head of good proportions. Good shoulders and depth of chest. Well-angulated fore and aft. Well presented and in hard condition. Best mover in the class, maintaining his top line as he strode out. BD and BIS. 2. Derry and Schoneville’s Balvenie Clandestine JW. Close up to 1 with both having lots to like. Blue belton and tan well presented and handled. Has an attractive head of good proportions. Good front and rear angulation, just preferred the movement of 1. 3. Leather’s Pewterspeare the Pianoman
Minor Puppy Bitch (1,1)
Puppy Bitch (1)
- Thompsett’s Bushbane Cetic Heartbeat of Radbrooks. 10 month old orange who was giving her handler a hard time in the class, but was much calmer in the challenge enabling her to take best puppy. Has a dark eye, straight front and good shoulders. Level topline but tail carriage could be lower. BP.
Junior Bitch (3,2)
- McCabe’s Rachdale Elegance JW. Very attractive orange who presents a lovely outline when stood with good front and rear angulation. Has a beautiful lean head. Good spring of rib and level topline. She is maturing nicely and shows much promise.
Yearling Bitch (5,3)
- Loynd’s Crimbledale Seaing Stars. 19 months old orange who is the litter mate to Yearling dog winner. Presents a lovely clean outline when stood with good angulation front and rear. Has a long neck leading to well placed shoulders and good spring of rib. Moved true. 2. Taylor and Atyeo’s Samelen Golden Taffeta. Another orange, slightly more mature than 1. She has a dark eye, good front angulation and shoulders. Preferred the rear quarters and movement of 1.
Novice Bitch (2,2)
Undergraduate Bitch (4,3)
- Taylor and Atyeo’s Samelen Golden Taffeta
Post Graduate Bitch (4,1)
- Williams’ Bournehouse Spring Violet. 2 ½ year old blue belton with a lovely head and soft melting expression. She has good front angulation and spring of rib. Level topline with good tail set. The best mover in this class. 2. Walker’s Mariglen Glorious Morning at Hathermere. Another blue, nearly 3 years old. She has a straight front with good depth of chest. Level topline maintained on the move. Just preferred the overall balance of 1. 3. Harris’s Lakecastle Japanese Jewel
Limit Bitch (3,1)
- Mugford’s Quensha Summer Nights at Lynwood JW. Orange, very well presented. Dark expressive eye giving a lovely soft expression. Lean head, clean throat. Good spring of rib and well-angulated fore and aft. Moved well within the confines of a fairly small ring. BB and RBIS. 2. William’s Bournehouse Starry Night. 3 year old blue belton and tan. She has an attractive head, straight front and good spring of rib. Would prefer a longer leaner neck. Moved well.
Open Bitch (1)
- Thompsett’s Radbrooks Kokomo. A dark blue who is 6 years old. Dark eye giving the desired soft friendly expression. Lovely head of good proportions. Good shoulders and angulation. Moved well. RBB.
Memorial Class Winners Crimbledale Sea the Skies JW and Jotunheim Limited Edition
CRITIQUE FOR MEMORIAL CLASSES
English Setter Society of Wales
25th September 2016
Many thanks to the Officers and Committee of the ESS of Wales for their kind hospitality.
The Windsor Stephens Memorial Special Yearling D or B
(7 entries, 2 absent)
- Loynd Crimbledale Sea the Skies JW
Quality b/b youngster who has a look of a dog I used to own. Well proportioned masculine head with deep muzzle and oval skull. Good dark expressive eye. Long arched neck into well laid back shoulders and level topline. Plenty of forechest, good depth and spring of rib. Excellent bend of stifle giving him drive on the move which was free and true with good use of tail. Well presented in excellent coat and condition.
- Taylor & Atyeo Samelen Harris Tweed
Good sized o/b dog with attractive masculine head and nice eye. He is well muscled, has good bone, depth of chest, spring of rib and level topline although a little longer cast than winner he too has a good bend of stifle which he used to advantage on the move.
- Taylor & Atyeo Samelen Golden Taffeta
The Windsor Stephens Memorial Special Yearling D or B(11,2)
- Watts Jotunheim Limited Edition
Another good sized b/b dog who is well angulated both fore and aft. He has a strong neck, good bone, well developed forechest, good depth of chest and spring of rib, level topline and well off for muscle. Masculine head with good dark eye. Strode out well using his tail on the move. In good coat. Delighted to see him go BIS, well done.
- Mugford Quensha Summer Nights at Lynwood JW
Very pretty and nice sized o/b girl who has the softest of expressions. Well put together throughout with plenty of forechest, straight front, plenty of bone, good spring of rib and level topline. Really strode out on the move using her tail to advantage. Delighted to see her go RBIS, well done.
- Tompsett Radbrooks Kokomo
RUTH ROBERTS (Judge)